Cardinal Wolsey was born and brought up in Ipswich, and on becoming Chancellor in the government of the time, Henry VIII gave to him most of the land to the west of Ipswich, including this house and farm as a reward for his work. However, Wolsey fell from grace after he could not persuade the Pope to grant Henry a divorce from Catherine of Aragon. The house and land were then taken away from him and given to Eton College at Windsor in exchange for land that the College owned near the Hospital of St. James' in the Field, which is now the site of St. James's Palace.
College Farm remained in the possession of Eton College until December 1800 when it was sold and became part and parcel of the Hintlesham Hall Estate. This Estate has subsequently been split up over the years and sold away, and Ian's parents bought the farm and the house in 1962 to add to their other farm in Hintlesham. We, Ian and Rosemary and our children Catherine and Philip moved here to live in 1975, and it has been our family home ever since.